Converted from paper version of the Broad Ripple Gazette (v07n23)
The Wine Scene - by Jill A. Ditmire
posted: Dec. 03, 2010
Tis the Season
The holiday season is underway. What to serve? What to give? Some thoughts...
Take these to the office party:
- Cristalino Brut Cava-sexy Spanish bubbly for $10.
- Fruvi Sexy Sangria, Spain- wine & juice. Add ice. Drink. Repeat.
- Spruce Goose, Sparkling NON ALCOHOLIC, Oregon- Made from unfermented Pinot Noir juice. FUN label too.
Great hostess gifts:
- Rosie the Riveter, Rose of Pinot Noir, Oregon- Off dry, with plenty of wild strawberry, raspberry and minerality. FUN label and SUPER food wine
- Canella Blood Orange Mimosa, Italy- sparkling wine with REAL blood orange juice. A one of a kind find that is so tasty you better buy two.
- Robertson Sweet Red, South Africa- EZ drinking off dry red wine in a FUN pear shaped bottle.
Not your everyday bottle of wine:
- Xicala, Spain- bone dry white blend from Spain. Terrific with sushi.
- Yarden Red, Israel- Kosher blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Black Chook Sparkling Shiraz, Australia- If you like the taste of shiraz and the giggles of champagne, THIS bottle is for you. Looks like shimmering rubies in the glass.
- Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon, South Africa- another great value red from South Africa. Earthy, chewy, lots of black cherry and vanilla. This one tastes like a Napa cab but can be had for less than $12.
- ARCS, Spain- Unusual red blend heavy on Carignane gives it a spicy, sassy aroma and flavor.
- Black Dog, Madison Vineyards, Indiana- It's hard to say no to the label featuring several of the wine dogs from this Southern Indiana winery. But the juice inside will make your tail wag too. Softly sweet. A great treat for any wine fan.
Make Merry on Mass Ave! A great way to try some new wine, beer, cocktails for a good cause.
12 Pubs Of Christmas - Mass Ave Bar Crawl. Friday, December 3, 2010
Part of Holiday Hoopla and IDADA First Friday Walk on Mass Ave!
5:30 p.m. - late. $10 donation to benefit IndyFringe Festival (this will serve as your 12 Bars Passport)
Forget your company "Holiday" party, get your tinsel, wigs, north poles and costumes ready for a rollicking good time! Come dressed in an outrageous festive outfit - naughty or nice - as we kick-off the holiday season in 12 (plus) bars along Mass Ave. Enjoy discounts at participating bars and win prizes throughout the night! Register online in advance at IndyFringe.org.
Unlike other bar crawls, you make your own itinerary - just make sure to sign-in with our elves from 5:30 pm-9pm at any of the 12 bars to get your passport. The rules and locations will be sent to you when you register!
Peddle Power Christmas Tree and funky fun @ The Fringe Building 719 E St Clair.
'FRINGE BINGE' 9:30pm to Midnight @ The IndyFringe Building. Games, performances, surprises and prizes for all.
Bring all your friends and make new ones:If you want a merry group to start out with, park, sign in and kick-off the night at 5:30 p.m. at either the 800 block (Mass Ave Wine Shop) or the 300 block (Front Page, Ball and Biscuit, MacNiven's) of Mass Ave and make your way up and down the lane to also visit the Old Point Tavern, Bu Da Lounge, The Chatterbox, Agio, Metro, Chatham Tap, Mass Ave Pub, 45 Degrees, and Mesh.
Jill A. Ditmire is an Omnimedia wine specialist, AWS certified wine judge, freelance broadcast journalist and 20+ year home owner in the Warfleigh neighborhood of Broad Ripple. Send your questions and comments to Jill at email@example.com
Also on INSTAGRAM @jaditmire